I thought this would be an appropriate time to write my love letter to the Great State of North Carolina, which I have called my home for the past 18 years after my family and I relocated here from the freezing cold terrains of New York.
North Carolina, I Love You. And here are the reasons why:
- My family - Thinking about moving away from them is the hardest thing about this move
- My friends - Again, not fun to think about leaving them
- Lake Johnson - The best lake to take a long and beautiful walk!
- Chick Fil A - In case you are unfamiliar with this great establishment, Chick Fil A is a fast food restaurant with the most friendly and efficient staff ever. For Real. And their chicken sandwiches and waffle fries? Don't even get me started!
- Cook Out - Again, in case you haven't tasted the deliciousness that is Cook Out, I'll elaborate. It is a rare and magical place where a hungry soul can get a burger, fries, hushpuppies(fried cornbread party in your mouth) and a milkshake all for $5. Will it clog your arteries? Absolutely. Is it worth it every once in a while? Duh.
- Springtime - Spring in North Carolina is pretty amazing. There are so many beautiful flowers here and they all bloom together in the Spring months, making for a beautiful scene
- C. Grace - My favorite spot to grab a drink. As referenced in an earlier post, they even make some drinks with egg whites creating a frothy and delicious alcoholic beverage
- Fedora - An awesome local boutique where a girl in need can find anything from an adorable top to the perfect dress for a night out.
- Sweet Tea - A uniquely Southern treat, this cold tea beverage has so much sugar in it you might be wired for hours, but its so refreshing and delicious on a hot and humid North Carolina summer day
- BARBECUE - A mostly North Carolinian culinary creation, when prepared correctly this dish will leave you wanting more. Its traditionally made with either pulled or chopped pork and topped with either an Eastern style vinegar sauce or a Western style tomato based sauce. The rivalry between the two is pretty strong down here, so choose your side wisely.
Of course there are many more than the10 listed here, but these are some of the most quintessential North Carolina-esque topics I could think of. This state has served as the backdrop to my childhood and has seen me grow into a woman. It will always have a place in my heart, and it will always be where I come when I want to be home.
So, North Carolina, thanks for the love and the memories! I'll be seeing you soon!
P.S. For those of you from Raleigh, NC (especially Sarah Hardin) the picture below goes out to y'all(Southern for "all of you" or "you guys")!