Monday, January 21, 2013

Have a Little Faith, plus a Roman 24th Birthday :)

Life is good--This past week I got to spend 5 days in Rome with one of my friends from home, Carly, and my friend Sarah who I met in Dublin. I had been a few years ago, so it was pretty awesome to go a second time. I got to see the Coliseum, the Forum and the Vatican again. I really enjoyed getting to notice new and different things the second time around.

St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City

Lacoon--my favorite sculpture

Carly's cute ballerina bun, snapping a shot inside St. Peter's

Cannoli, gelato and a cappuccino--what more could a girl need?

Salmon and prawn risotto--can you tell half of Rome's charm is it's food? :)

But the best part of my trip to Rome was when Sarah and I found the Scala Santa just next to the San Giovanni in Laterno cathedral. The Scala Santa are holy stairs that were brought to Rome by the Emperor Constantine's mother, St. Helena, in 326 AD from Jerusalem. They were the steps that led to Pontius Pilot's offices and are reportedly the very steps that Jesus walked up when he went to speak with Pilot just before his crucifixion. There are still a few spots on the steps where drops of blood can be seen. After searching around for a couple of hours with no luck in finding the Scala Santa we finally found them in a completely undecorated and plain looking building. When we walked through the doors, however, there was a palpable sense of awe and I immediately knew our searching was well worth the effort. For a few minutes we just stood and watched as other pilgrims climbed the Scala Santa on their hands and knees-a requirement to ascend the stairs as a sign of respect. Watching people from every corner of the globe undertake this pilgrimage filled me with gratitude for the opportunity to climb them myself and awe of what I was looking at.

As Sarah and I walked up to the stairs and knelt down on the first step I tried to take in everything around me-the beautiful frescoes on the walls, the ancient marble beneath my knees, the visible drops of blood, the elderly woman undertaking the climb and fully prostrating herself on the stairs. I was overcome with feelings. To visually witness faith in action is staggeringly beautiful. The people climbing these steps may have been motivated by faith in a Christian God and Jesus Christ, but to just think that faith in whatever form or religion you choose is enough to send you half way around the world on a pilgrimage to pay respect and honour to something bigger than yourself is amazing. Faith pushes humanity forward and gives it something to hold onto when things are so dark that there seems to be no way out. Its what has convinced me that there is a beautiful place and Someone who loves all of humanity enough to let us have an entire lifetime of learning and growth. Faith is the reason I know my mom is resting and full of joy and was smiling down on Sarah and I as we reached the top step of the Scala Santa with bruised knees and souls overflowing with faith, love and gratitude. In short, it was one of the most unique, amazing and simple experiences of my life. I would never trade that half hour for anything.

Scala Santa
And on top of all of that, I turned 24 while we were in Roma! Carly and Sarah got me balloons and a princess crown and the day was just perfect. We stopped for cappuccini, strolled all over the city and had a dinner out. I couldn't have asked for anything better! I'm so lucky to have such thoughtful and amazing friends! 

My second semester at UCD starts tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to my classes this semester. I hope everyone's weeks are off to a fabulous start! 

Love,
Erin xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment