Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"If You Had the Chance to Change Your Fate, Would You?"

     In February, I found out that I was accepted to UCD(University College Dublin) in Dublin, Ireland! I can't even explain how ecstatic I was! It has always been one of my dreams to live in another country, and now its coming true!
     The news could not have come at a better time. My mother passed away after fighting ALS for nearly 6 years in October 2011. We were so close, and her death has been extremely difficult. I truly believe this opportunity could not have been given to me at a better time. Getting this opportunity has been like finding the light at the end of a dark and very long tunnel. I am infinitely thankful for this, and am still in shock that its happening. I wish that my mom could be here for all of this. I know how proud she would be.
     Since I've been accepted, I've just been working on getting all of the paperwork together...and let me tell you is there a lot of paperwork! haha! I think (at least I hope) that I'm coming to the end of all of the paperwork. I'm booking my one-way plane ticket today which is all at once exciting and terrifying. The reality of this great adventure has really started to hit me this past week. I can't wait to get there and start a new life, with new adventures and new people! But, at the same time I'm realizing how difficult it is going to be to leave my family, my best friends and the life that I've built here behind. I know that they will all always be a part of my life, but its just hard to think that I won't get to see them all as frequently as I'm used to. Thank goodness for Skype and Facetime!! :)
     I won't be leaving until August, and my classes won't start until September, but I thought it would be nice to write posts between now and then about all of the preparations I'll be making for leaving.
     Until next time,
            Erin xoxo


                                                     My soon-to-be home! Dublin!

4 comments:

  1. It only takes 20 seconds of insane courage. And you are very courageous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want you to know that you inspire me everyday! This adventure is truly going to be a once in a lifetime experience that you will never forget. We all support you and love you! Plus its not you'd have to get on the Santa Maria and sail across the ocean if you needed a pick me up. We are, after all, only a small hop across the pond, or a phone call away!!

    Thanks for being the best sister I never thought I would have. Love you always!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I am so excited for you and you are a brave soul!!! Maybe I will visit you while you are there?? I have always wanted to travel. Not sure but I think Anna Leija sister still lives there as well. I hope I will see you before you go!!
    God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen I would love for you to come visit me! That would be so much fun! And B, I love you too and am so thankful for finding a sister in you! :)

    ReplyDelete