Sunday, August 26, 2012

Lost in Translation

There are a great many phrases that have boggled my mind since I've moved here. I've said a lot of things that have made me sound completely ridiculous because things in North Carolina and the States mean one thing, and here take on a totally different meaning. Below, I'll provide a list demonstrating my dilemma:

1. Biscuits. In Ireland = Cookies. Biscuits in North Carolina = Fluffy roll/bun. So when I say something like, "oh have y'all ever had a chicken biscuit before?" people think I eat chicken and cookies. And also probably think I don't have it all together.
2. Ride. For example in the States a pretty routine statement might be, "Hey, can I get a ride to the bar?" Here, you are asking for an explicit encounter...and I suppose in that context it would happen on the way to the bar. Can this get awkward? Yes. Instead say, "Can I get a lift?" Much better :)
3. Pants. In Ireland pants are underwear. So don't go telling people you may or may not have just met, "oh I bought some really cute pants today" unless you're comfortable talking about your panties with them. Instead, use trousers.
4. Gaff. A gaff is a house/apartment/place you call home. Cue this song getting stuck in your head for the next 1-2 hours :)
5. Bob.  Money
6. Your Man. In Ireland, in context, "I was talking to your man at the store." So basically it means this guy, dude, whoever. When I first heard it I kept wanting to tell people, "But I'm single. I don't have a man right now..."

I'm pretty much positive that there's more than just this list of six, but these are the main words and phrases that I've gotten hung up on. Its been really funny trying to navigate and pick my words more wisely. I'm definitely much more aware of what I say now!

Mostly just bewildered and confused :)

No comments:

Post a Comment