Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Quiet Little Pieces of Home

Today I woke up feeling a little homesick and decided I would take a walk around Dublin City Centre and try to find new things. I ended up walking around for about 4 hours and went all over the city. It was such a lovely day filled with all kinds of unexpected encounters, and it really lifted my spirits.

When I got into town I realized that I was super hungry, so I walked into a convenience store/deli and got a hot sandwich and a soda and found a cool little courtyard area to eat it in. Then a GIANT wind came through and almost blew all my lunch away! haha. After that I decided I wanted to see the famous Post Office(site of fighting during the struggle for Irish Independence) and took off in that direction. The crowds were INSANE down that way, but it was really cool to get to see the building. I walked around that area a bit more and then headed back over the river down some side streets around Grafton Street, which is one of the major roads in the city. I found a beautiful church called St. Teresa's run by Carmelites. I decided to stop in and say a prayer and light a candle in memory of my Mom. As soon I stepped into the church I felt a warmth and sense of home wash over me. I stayed there for quite awhile, soaking up that feeling and joining in with the others there saying prayers. It was really a lovely experience. As soon as I walked out of the church I heard one of the street performers on Grafton St. playing one of my favorite songs on guitar, which also gave me a great sense of comfort and a home-y feeling. Its funny, just the moment I started feeling like the city might swallow me up I found the little things that uplifted me. Although I'm about 3000 miles away from home and most things that are familiar to me, pieces of home can be found everywhere.

After leaving the church and strolling around Grafton St. I ran into so, so many kind people. One man asked me for directions. Obviously I had no idea where he was trying to go but we walked along together for a little while until he found his bearings, chatting and enjoying the beautiful weather. Just after that, a bubbly and kind girl appeared seemingly out of no where to tell me she liked my earrings. At first I thought she was going to mug me(hey, I've gotta be careful!), but after I said thank you she just continued to chat with me. We walked together for awhile until we both went our separate ways, and she pointed me in the direction of a really cool little bookshop not far away.

One of my all time favorite things to do is spend hours wandering around a bookstore. I love everything about them-the smells, the artwork on the covers and the thousands of stories waiting to be discovered. I spent a large portion of my afternoon strolling around this one particular store. I came across a book called "The Night Circus" and it immediately captured my interest so I brought that one home with me. After that I wandered a little more and then realized I was kind of tired so I headed home. There was nothing huge that happened today, no big ah-ha event, but rather so many small moments that culminated in a wonderful afternoon. I was reminded once again of the innate kindness within people and the beauty of my new city. This time of quiet and calm is something I'm not used to, but its a blessing because I've been able to reconnect with parts of myself that were left neglected when my life was so hectic. I know life will become very busy again very soon with classes starting and finding a job(all good vibes and prayers towards that happening are most welcome!) so I'm just trying to enjoy the slow pace of life right now. I think its during the times when I am left alone with myself that I learn so much about who I am.

I love and miss all of you back home in North Carolina! Big hugs and kisses are being sent your way!

XOXO,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment